Everyone loves an advent calendar and it isn’t to late do this one and you can save the little matchboxes for next year if you would like.
We like ours to be a true count down so we can watch it get smaller and smaller as the days get closer.
To make this you will need:
12- 6x6 squares of Cardstock (3 – 12x12 cut into quarters) for the inside boxes
12- 2x7 strips of printed cardstock for the outside of the boxes. (I used Echo Park Holly Jolly Christmas)
Scraps of paper to make the tags
Number stickers, rub ons or die cuts
String, ribbon or yarn
Tape runner or red tacky tape
*optional punches or a digital cutter
1. For the inside box, use the 6x6 and score at 1”, 2”, 4” and 5” on two sides as shown
2. Cut the tabs as shown and score on the fold lines.
3. Glue and fold the inside box
4. With the printed card stock score on the long side at 1”, 2” 4 ¼” and 5 ¼ “
5. Fold and glue with the seam in the back.
6. Place the inside box into the outer box.
7. Using punches and numbers make the tags and glue to the top of each box. If you would like you can add stitch marks with a black sharpie pen.
8. Fill the inside of each box with a little treat or treasure. At our house we also add a simple Elf Service that must be performed before the next day. (i.e. make someone’s bed, read a Christmas story etc.)
9. Pull out a piece of plastic wrap about 4’ long.
10. Place each box, face down on the plastic wrap. Start with number 1 at the top.
11.Fold the plastic over and tie between each box.
12.Make one more tag with a name on it if you are doing multiple streamers (my kids each have to have their own!)
If you start with day 12 on December 13 you will open the last box on Christmas Eve. (This is the last thing we do before going to bed; an empty countdown means we are ready for Santa to come.) If you start on December 14 you will open the last box on Christmas day.
Have lots of fun with this easy Advent Calendar and let the counting begin.